Willys Motors was first founded as Overland Automobile Co. The Overland Automobile Co. was founded by Claude E. Cox (designer and builder) and David M. Parry (financer) in Indianna, USA, on the March 31st , 1906. An economic depression in 1907 led the Overland Automobile Co. to the brink of shutting down. John North Willys saved the company and in 1912 reorganised it under the name Willys-Overland and moved to Toledo.
As of 1917 the company was offering cars for three segments of the market: the Overland, the Willys and the Willys Knight. In 1953 Kaiser Motors acquired Willys-Overland and renamed it Willys Motor Company. In 1955 automobile production was discontinued in the USA but Willys went on producing jeeps and SUV’s.
In 1963 the company had its name changed to Kaiser Jeep Corporation. Then, in 1970, American Motors Corporation (AMC) bought Kaiser Jeep and it became the Jeep Corporation. In 1987 Chrysler Corporation purchased the Jeep Corporation but kept the Jeep brand.
|origin:||United States of America, 1906|