Wartburg cars have been produced in the Eisenach factory in Germany since 1898. In the beginning of the 20th century, Wartburg was the third largest car manufacturer in the world. However, in 1904 the Wartburg badge was dropped because of the lack of buyers. In 1956, the brand was revived with the release of the Wartburg 311. This model was a commercial hit, being exported to 50 countries. With the fall of the Berlin Wall came the end of the Wartburg marque. The last car produced with its badge dates from 1991.