Wanderer was founded under the name Winklhofer & Jaenicke in Chemnitz, Germany, in 1896. It started as a motorcycle producer and later turned to automobiles. The first Wanderer car was launched in 1903. The brand name Wanderer was not officially adopted until 1911. In 1932 Wanderer became a part of Auto Union. Passenger car production was discontinued in 1941, with Wanderer concentrating on military vehicles until 1945. The plant was destroyed during WWII.