The Pierce Motor Car Company was founded by George Norman Pierce. Originally a manufacturer of gilded birdcages under the name of Heinz, Pierce and Munschauer, George N. Pierce soon included bicycles to their range of products and as early as 1901 Pierce built its first small cars (one cylinder followed by a two cylinder vehicle). The first Pierce-Arrow, a big, luxurious, high quality car was born in 1903 and in 1905 won the first Glidden Tour, and most of the runs in subsequent years. Pierce died in 1910 after selling his rights and the company in 1907. In 1908 The Pierce Motor Company changed the name to The Pierce-Arrow Motor Car Company. The Pierce-Arrow had one of the largest engines ever used and was extremely reliable. Together with the Packard and the Peerless, they became known as the “3 P’s of Motordom” in the USA, which meant premium vehicles. In keeping with their image of a luxury brand The Pierce-Arrow Motor Car Company chose not to build a low price car. The Great depression reduced the number of potential clients to such expensive cars and the company did not survive the crisis closing its doors in 1938. An attempt to revive the name was made by a group of classic car fans from Switzerland, which bought the rights to the brand.
|origin:||United States of America, 1901|