The history of Marmon goes back to 1851 when Daniel Marmon and Addison Nordyke, founded the Nordyke and Marmon Company, in Richmond, Indiana, to produce millstones. In the 1870s the Company moved to Indianapolis, becoming one of the largest milling machinery producers worldwide. In 1902 one of Marmon sons, Arthur, designed and produced the company's first automobile. Soon after, in 1911, a Marmon car (called VASP) won the Indianapolis 500 mile race which bought the Company a very good name, that changed to Marmon Motor Car Company in 1926. The company pioneered the rear-view mirror, the V16 engine, and the use of aluminum in car building but Marmons were super-expensive luxury cars not in great demand in those conturbated years of the Great Depression. Car production ceased in 1933.
|origin:||United States of America, 1902|