Norddeutsche Automobil und Motoren GmbH was founded in 1908 in Bremen, Germany, and was owned by the Norddeutsche Lloyd Shipping Company, reason why the cars were branded “Lloyd”. In 1914 following a merger with Hansa, the company changed the name to Hansa-Lloyd Werke AG. In 1929 Hansa was bought by the Borgward Group and car production was discontinued. Production of Lloyd cars was resumed in 1950 the company having adopted the name Lloyd Motoren Werke GmbH. Lloyd were small, economical cars, but quite comfortable and reliable and very popular in the post-WWII period. The company went bankrupt in 1960, but car building proceeded until 1963. This brand has no connection with the British Lloyd automobiles.