Lagonda was founded in 1906 in Staines, Middlesex, United Kingdom, by Wilbur Gunn, an American born in Springfield, Ohio, USA, who immigrated into England late 19th century. Lagonda is a derivative from "Ough Ohonda", the name given by the Indians to the river that runs through Springfield. Gun had started by building motorcycles at his home, the first cyclecar being introduced in 1905. Lagonda soon made quite a good name after the victory in St Petersburg-Moscow-St Petersburg race in 1910, thus becoming the favourite of Tsar Nicola II and a car exporter to Russia until 1914. Lagonda’s founder died in 1920 but the company continued successfully in business until 1935 when it went bankrupt but was bought by Alan Good. In 1947 the company was purchased and integrated into Aston Martin, but the make remained in business and is today a remarkable case of success having already celebrated its 100th anniversary. The last Lagonda car was presented at the 2009 Geneva Motor Show in 2009.
|origin:||United Kingdom, 1906|