Gutbrod was founded in 1926 by Wilhelm Gutbrod in Ludwigsburg, Germany (moving later to Plochingen am Neckar) to build motocycles, but soon shifted to engine and car construction, the first vehicles being produced in 1933. In 1951 Gutbrod introduced a model equipped with the first engine with direct injection. Gutbord’s, were sold in standard and luxurious versions. They were rapid and easy handling though somewhat noisy. Car production stopped in 1954, but the Company remained in business manufacturing engines and garden equipment. In 1995 Gutbrod was bought by MTD.